Frappes can be a little expensive than your normal espresso. They definitely are your guilty pleasure during summers. However expensive they may be, you cannot stay away from iced coffees during summers or for that matter winters.
I have known some people who liked to have iced coffees even during winters.
What better than having iced coffee at your home at your convenience? Do some people have a misconception that espresso machines cannot make iced coffee?
In this article, we will discuss the different ways of making coffees. We will also tell you some methods and techniques to make your iced coffee café quality.
How to make iced coffee at home?
The best way to make iced coffee for beginners is to fill your coffee mug with ice cubes till the brim. Pour your coffee( watered effect) into the mug. The coffee should be of room temperature or cooled down. Now add crème to the mug. If you want your coffee to be light, then use fat-free milk. Let the coffee take some time to settle down. Mix the coffee with a spoon. Add sugar according to your taste. Coffee ready! This was the most simple way of making coffee. As beginners, you can definitely try out this method.
I have already told you the simplest way of making iced coffee but I wouldn’t recommend you to go that way if you want Starbucks quality coffee.
Let’s learn how to make iced coffee in French Press. You already know that making cold brew French press requires you to use cold water. I always prefer to brew cold coffee to make my iced tea. The only con is that the coffee grounds take more time to soak in the water since the water is cold. Saying that coffee always gets better if the grounds soak the water well because they provide the essential flavour to your coffee.
It’s best if you let the grounds sit for overnight. So let’s get started with the process.
- Ingredients that are needed are coffee beans, coffee grinder, filtered water, French press and a spoon.
- Use double the amount of coffee that you use to brew hot coffee to make cold brew. 1 to 1 ratio is perfect(7-water,1-coffee). Of course, it depends on the makers taste also. A course ground is recommended for a cold brew but you can also use medium ground. Finer the ground, stronger the coffee.
- Add the coffee to the French press and pour in the water. Water should be cold. If not cold, then room temperature will do. Filtered water is necessary. Stir the coffee and the water. Make sure that every ground touches the water and keep stirring until the coffee is mixed with the water properly.
- Now that the water has been added to the coffee, let the coffee steep for some time. You need to keep the mixture aside for at least 12 hours. If the water that you have used is of room temperature and if you want the brew to be ready in 12 hours, then just keep the prospected brew on the counter. If you need more time to make the iced coffee, then keep the coffee in the refrigerator.
- After 12 hours, slowly press the plunger of the French press down. For best result, shoot for a full 30 seconds plunge. Use a paper filter while pouring your coffee into the mug to separate the coffee grounds or other impurities.
- The cold brew coffee is ready! It’s your wish to add milk/crème/sugar to it.
Also Read: How to Roast Green Coffee Beans?
Now let’s learn how to make iced coffee from hot brew. Yes, guys, you heard it right!
The first thing that you need to know is that the longer coffee brews in hot water, the stronger/bitter it can get. You should want a fast brew for a wonderful iced coffee. You should also know that you have to cool down down coffee after using hot water as soon as possible.
My suggestion for you to use thermal shock resistant glasses is because you don’t have to wait for the coffee to cool down before adding ice to it so that you don’t get a crack in the glass. The thing is to use a liquid sugar sweetener. When you make iced coffee from cold coffee, you would want to use liquid sugar so that it gets dissolved in the coffee quickly. You just have to dissolve sugar into boiling water to make liquefied sugar. Make sure the proportion of both the things is equal.
Most of you must have a coffee machine at your place. Not all coffee machine only serve hot coffee. Let’s see how to make iced coffee with the help of a coffee maker. Use the manual and make filter coffee from the espresso machine. Nothing can match the quality of coffee made by an espresso machine.
- The first thing to keep in mind is that you need to avoid using espresso as the basis for your iced coffee. The first step is to freeze filter coffee into ice cubes.
- These ice cubes can be diluted in milk/crème for making instant iced coffee. This type of coffee stays colder for longer. Allow your coffee to cool down because adding a cold component into your hot coffee will make it hot too. When the coffee cools down, add water/mil/crème to it.
- You can also add your favourite flavour to your coffee. Add a drop of vanilla essence and it will give an amazing taste to your iced coffee.
When you make iced with the help of a filter coffee machine then you need to keep a few things in mind. You need to brew the grounds fully and remove it immediately after it reaches the optimal percolation. Allow it to cool completely then continue the process.
When you are using a capsule machine, you should try to prepare a strong blend of the capsule and then continue with making iced coffee.
If you are using an automatic coffee machine, then the most important thing to keep in mind is to not dispense the hot coffee directly to your base liquid. This will limit the taste of your final product.
How to make coffee with an Aeropress?
I find the inverted method easier than the others and so we will use that method.
- Place the plunger in the chamber under the 3rd marking. Flip the assembly so that the chamber side is up. Pour out the ice into a vessel in which you will be plunging. Take about 20g of coffee that has to be grounded. Pour water in the kettle and heat it. Grind which is between espresso and drip would be preferable. Take 18g of ground coffee and put it into the inverted AeroPress. Give it a gentle tap so the grounds get settled. After boiling, let the water settle. Start your timer.
- Pour water that is sufficient to saturate the coffee bed. Pat the grounds gently using the brew paddle to make sure that all the grounds are settled. Let them expand for about 30 seconds. This technique helps you add rich flavour to your coffee.
- After that, add water in small circles. Repeat so until the scale reads 138g. Make sure slurry fills the entire chamber.
- Remove the assembly from scale now.
- Rinse the filter with hot water from the kettle by placing it in the filter cap while the coffee brews. This will help in sealing the cap and washing away the paper taste.
- When you read 2:30 in the timer, stir the mixture 10 times vigorously.
- Screw the filter cap onto chamber with the filter. Tilt the Aeropress and flip the assembly into the ice flush cup. Plunge into the cup for a few minutes.
- The final brew should be of 2:45.
The two things to keep in mind are that if the plunging is hard then you need to coarsen the grind since you are getting a lot of resistance. If the plunging is very easy, then you need to make the grind finer.
Now let’s see how to make iced coffee in a drip coffee machine.
- The first step is to add ice to the carafe. This is done to cool down the brewed coffee as soon as possible. This also reduces bitterness.
- Brew your coffee according to your taste. Make it a little strong though because you wouldn’t want your coffee to be extra mild after being diluted by the ice. Pour the ice once the coffee is brewed. If the ice was already there in the carafe, then the coffee would be cool enough and you can use normal mugs instead of thermal shock resistant cups.
- After pouring your coffee in the mug, you can add the additional ingredients to the coffee like milk, crème or sugar.
Lets now learn one of the easiest ways to make iced coffee. Let’s learn how to make iced coffee with the help of a pot.
- Take filter water and pour it into the pot( better if you take a stainless steel pot). Boil the water.
- When the water has been boiled enough, remove it from the stove and let it cool down for a minute. Add two tablespoon of grounds into 8 ounces of water. The grounds should be medium to coarsely roasted. Stir them until they are all wet.
- Let them brew for 3-4 minutes. Afterwards, using a cheesecloth, strain the grounds from the coffee.
- Pour the coffee into thermal shock resistant cups and add the additional ingredients according to your choice.
Tips on how to make iced coffee that is worth serving to your guests
- You should always make your iced coffee with quality coffee beans. You can even use the apricots, chocolate and caramel notes to make an amazing cup of iced coffee.
- Freeze the leftover coffee. Use these ice cubes to pop them into your cup of iced coffee that you have just made. These ice cubes, add flavour to your coffee when they melt.
- You can make your own crème and flavoured syrups and thus you don’t always have to spend money on buying these things.
Frequently asked questions
Is there a difference between cold brew and iced coffee?
Yes, there is a difference between cold brew and iced coffee. Iced coffee can be made instantly while cold brew needs at 12 hours to get ready. The cold brew is also tastier than the iced coffee.
Is iced coffee healthier than your regular cup of coffee?
Yes, iced coffee is healthier than your regular cup of coffee because the acidity of iced tea is approximately 3 times less than that of hot coffee.
Why is it necessary to let the grounds rest for 12 hours before the final brewing?
It is always preferred to let the grounds rest for 12 hours because they need more time to soak in cold water. The wait is worth the amazing flavour that you later get in your cup of coffee.
We have already discussed some of the major ways to make iced coffee. The methods given are fairly easy to use and even a beginner can make a cup of iced coffee using the above methods.
Once you think of making iced coffee, you should be prepared to give the coffee the required time. It may be frustrating to wait for 12 hours before the final action but the result that you get is worth the wait.
As I had said before, finer the grounds, better the coffee, You should always go for medium-coarsely roasted grounds for your coffee machine.
You can use hot or cold water depending on the method that you have opted but make sure that you are only using filter water in the process of making iced coffee.
The quantity of the coffee to be brewed should be kept in mind according to your taste. It may be a little confusing for you to choose the number of grounds to be ground because you do not get to know the situation of the coffee after being diluted with the ice.
We hope we were able to help you to make iced coffee with this article!